On Saturday, Beth, ctl, and I went to a costume party at a friend’s place, and Beth and I actually wore costumes :)
Beth had costume malfunctions so ended up going with her old standby of the tiger costume she made a while back (though if she ever finishes her other costume, much coolness will ensue). I successfully managed to pull off that ipod silhouette I mentioned a while back (using a mask and an afro wig in addition to black clothes). Beth sais the costume came out really well, no one seemed to get it, even after I tried to explain it:
Them: …. What are you?
Me: I’m an ipod silhouette! *dances*
Them: …. err….
Me: Y’know, like in the commercials?
Them: I don’t watch TV.
Me: Well, it’s on print ads, billboards, and the Internet, too.
Them: I guess I just don’t go to the same places that you do.
I had to have that conversation (practically to the letter) at least 4 times. Oh well, the few people who got it thought it was clever. Unfortunately, I have no pictures, so you will not be able to judge it for yourselves.
In other news, I had a cold yesterday (but I don’t today). While I was moping around the house in my PJs all day, I finished Fable (on the evil path, I had completed it on the good path a few days earlier). My observations upon the completion of the game follow:
- This is not a RPG, no matter what the Halo addicts tell you. It is an adventure game, like Zelda (only not as good).
- It can be fun, for a time, but it gets rather boring rather quickly.
- All that hype about customization is bull- the only things that change are your appearance (on a trivial evil/left/horns->good/right/halo scale) and villagers’ reactions to your presence (they will either applaud or cower upon your approach). Big deal.
- There is really no reason to repeat this game to see what happens when you play on the opposite side of the good/evil scale- there is hardly enough story to support one play-through.
- The story is trite at best and barely existant at worst.
Anyway, yeah. I had such high hopes for this game, it even justified my acquisition of an xbox (and the tarnishing of my own soul that comes thereof). To say I’m disappointed is to say that water is only slightly damp.
If you or someone you know is considering playing Fable, you can help!
- If Fable is appealing because of the purported character customization, try NWN instead!
- If Fable is appealing because of the RPG storyline, try (nearly) any Final Fantasy game instead! (esp. FFVI)
- If Fable is appealing because of the fantasy action, try Zelda instead!