Yeah, I’ve been up for way too long. And I’ve only spent a little of that time playing Metroid Prime today, surprisingly. Most of the rest of the time involved me working on my computer (no, not that work, though I do have some to do, and I DID finally get paid).
Chris made me a cool blinkenlights apparatus with wood paneling on the front (I’m not even joking) using a BASIC stamp and a glue gun ^_^ I spent most of my time tonight hacking the XMMS Blink-O-Tron plugin to work with my serial device as opposed to the parallel device it was designed for. It was actually pretty easy, despite my seemingly abysmal C knowledge. The timing still seems to be off a bit, and the LCD screen doesn’t seem to do much of anything, but hey- BLINKENLIGHTS! Oh, and of course I already broke Chris’s glue gun craftmanship while removing a wire after I programmed some BASIC on the actual stamp. -.-;;
In addtion to that, Chris also got me a binary pillow (someone actually paid attention!) and my (VERY) belated birthday present- DDR with a floor pad. I am completely horrible at DDR, but now I can at least have fun at it without making a fool of myself in public. Oh, and keeping up with the nice trend of breaking Chris’s very nice presents, I already lost one of the feet on the DDR pad. Pha.
In unrelated news, either my Compact Flash reader has died entirely, or my computer is sadistic and likes to toy with me. (I know THAT can’t be true, I treat it better than I do most of my living friends). For the past few weeks the reader would intermittently decide to stop working and would cause the mount process to become zombified. The only way to fix it would be by rebooting and crossing my fingers. At first, I blamed the RAM. But now I have new RAM, so I don’t think that was the cause. It’s not my setup because I didn’t change anything and it WAS working fine previously (and this isn’t Windows so stuff doesn’t just ‘stop working for no reason’). Anyway, I tried to mount the flash drive today and it is even worse than before- “mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device.” Logs tell me that the USB bus is detecting a device there, but that it can’t determine what it is. USB Mass Storage never even loads, so the verbose debugging that offers is no help either. I verified my kernel setup again, it is exactly the same as it was a few weeks back when I could occasionally access the reader. Oh well. I guess I’ll try it on the Windows machine later just to verify that the reader really is the problem.
But right now I should go to bed so I can wake up in a few hours to accompany Bobby on hs Christmas spending adventure.
Oh, and I went to see LOTR again with Chris and Bobby earlier tonight (last night to the rest of you). The best line in that move: “I want my elf!” Weeee!!!!